Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Diving Forums > Diving Main Board

Old 04-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
livebait

Default sea urchin huting

hey guys!

I need some help, I am trying to find sea urhins. I dont have any equipment so i plan to free dive and harvest sea urchines, does any one know where i can go about doing that? I'm not sure of the regulations either. If some one can provide that information for me that would be nice.

is there any local south cali area i would be able to free dive for sea urhines or grab it with a long net?

thanks for any help in advance
livebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
scubapro5
Administrator

You can find them in most areas by PV. I assume you are going to eat them so when you find them you need to break one open to makes sure it has eggs to eat inside if not you need to try another area or come back when they are ready.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
kikaida
Super Moderator

Where there's kelp there's usually urchins. You want the red(ish) ones, the black ones are too small and the purple ones are so-so. The regulations are pretty loose on urchins but still head over to the DFG website for the specifics. You're gonna have to get wet as a net probably wont work. And don't stick your self, the spines can break off in your skin and they leave an irritating wound that can easily get infected...I tend to learn things the hard way so you don't have to.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
livebait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
You can find them in most areas by PV. I assume you are going to eat them so when you find them you need to break one open to makes sure it has eggs to eat inside if not you need to try another area or come back when they are ready.
Yes Roger, I plan to eat them. I'm really a novice at this. I would like to get in to free diving but have heard some scarry stories. I also need a diving buddy. No near me has any interest in this...

I guess my plan now is to walk on the jetties and find them then make some tool to pry them off the rocks.

Any help with a toll would be nice. thanks guys
Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
livebait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikaida
Where there's kelp there's usually urchins. You want the red(ish) ones, the black ones are too small and the purple ones are so-so. The regulations are pretty loose on urchins but still head over to the DFG website for the specifics. You're gonna have to get wet as a net probably wont work. And don't stick your self, the spines can break off in your skin and they leave an irritating wound that can easily get infected...I tend to learn things the hard way so you don't have to.

any specific locations?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
kikaida
Super Moderator

Just look for kelp close to shore, as Roger said Palos Verdes would be a good place to start looking around. Best of luck!

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
MiguelT

I've talked to a couple of sushi restaurants in the area, and they said that the best sea urchins are the large black or red ones offshore where there's less pollution, catalina is great, and the best months are august to december when they're at their highest breeding points :)
MiguelT is offline   Reply With Quote